Adios Costa Rica!

    Overall, my Smith fellowship in Costa Rica is an opportunity I’ll always be grateful for and an experience I’ll forever carry in my heart. Over the six weeks, I learned many lessons and innovative ways of working that I will carry over with me to the United States. The most important lesson that came across to me was how to observe while being present but not overinserting myself. Oftentimes, when people deeply care for the well-being of others, they want to do whatever is possible to help them out. However, during my time spent observing classrooms and letting students figure out many things on their own, I learned that I don’t need to insert myself into many issues students may face because it is crucial that they guide themselves—and there's no doubt that they will.

As a social work major, I have had many classes where I was taught to practice social empathy in a way that you’re listening to others rather than working on finding a solution to their needs/emotions. With the Smith fellowship, I felt I was able to practice this skill fully because I was new to everything in Costa Rica and its culture, and I was exploring on my own. Every day I was observing something new, and I loved it. Working in the Los Angeles school helped bring me closer to desired career plans because of the pure care the faculty have for their students. Although holistically schools are focused on the well-being of the student academically, socially, mentally, and physically, Los Angeles has a different spark that shapes you more and more into a better provider for the children every day as one progresses along.

Having a host family that was wonderful to me only grew the love for my experience. I was able to grow more out of my comfort zone, and at the end, they truly felt like my family. For some reason, I even forgot what it was like outside of Costa Rica from time to time. I tried various homemade foods that I’m definitely taking back with me to the US and a wonderful dessert called “Torta Chilena" that somehow I can't find anywhere in the New England area. I will miss the view from my room and the sounds of nature every night and morning—but most importantly, my host family. I am eternally grateful for them showing me deeper Costa Rican culture.

At first, I was very anxious when arriving, but in the end it was a bittersweet moment. I loved the Los Angeles school so much, and the students even more. Every single one of them gratified an aspect of the Dominican community that shone magnificently.